Categories
News Daypop

Body of missing West Virginia miner found after weeklong search

A West Virginia coal miner who had been missing for more than a week inside a flooded mine was found dead Thursday morning, ending an exhaustive search that gripped the local community and mining industry.

The coal miner, identified as foreman Steve Lipscomb, 42, was from Elkview, West Virginia., was working alongside a 17-person crew when a pocket of water burst inside the Rolling Thunder Mine, flooding the tunnels. Lipscomb became trapped Saturday afternoon inside the mine, after rushing to help his crew escape the flooding. Alpha Metallurgical Resources, the mining company, said in a statement Thursday that “during routine operations, a crew in the underground mine encountered a sudden and substantial inflow of water .. He was last seen trying to ensure his crew made it out safely. All 17 other miners made it to safety.

West Virginia Gov. Patrick Morrisey announced on X that at about 6 a.m. EST, “water levels inside the Rolling Thunder Mine in Nicholas County had receded sufficiently for rescue crews to safely enter. The team began their search, examining every section as they advanced underground. At 7:37 a.m., one two-man team located the body of the missing miner, foreman Steve Lipscomb. This morning’s news is absolutely heartbreaking. Denise and I are devastated to learn of the loss of Mr. Lipscomb, and we are praying for his family, friends, and co-workers during this difficult time.” Morissey praised the rescue teams who worked “tirelessly” in dangerous conditions, adding that “their commitment and professionalism have been unwavering throughout the operation.” He added that mining is deeply woven into West Virginia’s identity: “Our state knows this kind of pain all too well. Mining is more than an industry here — it’s a brotherhood, a way of life, and a source of pride. When tragedy strikes, we grieve together, we stand together, and we support one another as one West Virginia family.”

Nicholas County Commissioner Garret Cole said the flooding occurred when miners struck a large pocket of water during routine operations. Lipscomb was believed to be trapped about three-quarters of a mile underground. Crews worked “around the clock” in 12-hour shifts, pumping millions of gallons of water from the mine and drilling new entry points in hopes of reaching him. By Tuesday, officials said water was being removed at a rate of roughly 6,000 gallons per minute, but the scale of flooding and blocked tunnels made progress slow and perilous. Dive teams were deployed several times but were unable to reach deep sections of the mine until water levels finally dropped this week. Lipscomb’s body was recovered shortly after 7:30 a.m., about 90 minutes after crews finally gained safe access to the mine.

Alpha Metallurgical Resources CEO Andy Eidson called Lipscomb’s death a devastating loss for the company and community:  “Our hearts are broken. Steve joined our company in 2006 and was a dedicated employee, respected leader and friend to many. His actions to ensure the safety of his crew members were heroic. On behalf of the entire organization, we extend our prayers and deepest sympathies to his wife, two children and all who knew and cared for him.”

This is the second mining fatality in West Virginia this month and the fifth in the state this year. A full investigation into the accident is being conducted by federal and state authorities.

Editorial credit: ThomasPerkins.com / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Baylor AD Mack Rhoades takes leave of absence, steps down as CFP Committee Chair

Baylor athletic director Mack Rhoades has taken a leave of absence from his position with the university and is stepping down as chair of the College Football Playoff (CFP) selection committee.

The move, effective November 12, was confirmed by the school, which cited personal reasons for his leave: “Baylor Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Mack Rhoades is on a leave of absence for personal reasons, effective November 12. The University will decline to comment further at this time.”

Rhoades took over as Baylor’s athletic director in 2016 following stints at Missouri, Houston, and Akron.  During his absence, deputy athletic director and COO Jovan Overshown, along with executive senior associate AD and CFO Cody Hall, will oversee the athletic department’s day-to-day operations. It remains unclear how long Rhoades will remain on leave or whether he will return to his role following the university’s review.

Multiple outlets, including CBS Sports and ESPN, report that Rhoades’s departure follows new allegations received by Baylor earlier this week. The university has launched an internal review, though officials emphasized the allegations do not involve Title IX issues, student welfare, NCAA violations, or the football program.

According to Yahoo Sports, the new allegations are separate from an earlier sideline incident involving Rhoades and tight end Michael Trigg during Baylor’s Sept. 20 game against Arizona State. Reports from The Athletic claim Rhoades confronted Trigg over his gold undershirt, which differed from the team’s uniform, and allegedly grabbed the player while using an expletive. Head coach Dave Aranda later exchanged “heated” words with Rhoades about the matter.

Baylor previously addressed that incident, stating, “More than a month ago, Baylor University received reports of an incident involving vice president and director of intercollegiate athletics Mack Rhoades. These reports were thoroughly reviewed and investigated in accordance with university policies, appropriate actions were taken, and the matter is now closed. Mr. Rhoades has expressed regret over his emotions and recognizes his conduct at that moment was not reflective of our Christian mission and values. Mr. Rhoades is an important part of our Baylor family, and we look forward to his continued leadership of our athletics department. We remain committed to ensuring a respectful and accountable environment for all of our student-athletes, coaches, and staff.”

Rhoades’s leave comes at a critical juncture in the college football season. The final CFP rankings will be revealed on December 7, and Rhoades had been leading the committee responsible for determining the playoff field.  Arkansas athletic director Hunter Yurachek is expected to be nominated to replace Rhoades as chair, while the Big 12 has recommended Utah AD Mark Harlan to fill his seat on the 13-member selection committee. Both nominations await approval from the CFP governing board.

Editorial credit: davisdeatonphotography / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Pirates pitcher Paul Skenes denies reports that he wants to play for Yankees

Newly crowned National League Cy Young Award winner Paul Skenes addressed speculation that he’s seeking a trade from the Pittsburgh Pirates to the New York Yankees, firmly dismissing the reports and reiterating his commitment to Pittsburgh.

The rumors began earlier in the day when an NJ Advance Media story quoted an anonymous Pirates player claiming Skenes had expressed a desire to be traded to New York. Skenes said he was shown the post and received messages about it but “didn’t think much about it.”  Skenes told reporters: “I don’t know where that came from. I don’t know the reporter. I don’t know the player that supposedly said that. But the goal is to win, and the goal is to win in Pittsburgh.”

The 23-year-old right-hander added that he’s aware of the perception that the Pirates are longshots in the National League, but he’s determined to help change that narrative. “The way that fans see us outside of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh is not supposed to win. There are 29 fan bases that expect us to lose. I want to be a part of the 26 guys that change that,” he said.

Skenes capped off a historic start to his career by becoming the first pitcher since Dwight Gooden in the mid-1980s to win Rookie of the Year and Cy Young honors in consecutive seasons. In 2025, he led Major League Baseball with a 1.97 ERA, striking out 216 batters over 187⅓ innings, and finished with a 10-10 record after winning three of his final four decisions. The previous season, he went 11-3 with a 1.96 ERA across 23 starts.

Despite his stellar performance, Pittsburgh finished 71-91 in 2025, with the franchise having reached the postseason just three times in the past 33 years. However, Skenes expressed hope that he can help reverse the team’s fortunes. “I’m on the Pirates. My goal is to win with the Pirates. I love the city of Pittsburgh. The fans are hungry to have a winner in Pittsburgh and I want to be part of the group that did that,” he said.

Pirates general manager Ben Cherington echoed that sentiment, saying the team has no plans to move Skenes. Speaking at the MLB general managers meetings in Las Vegas, Cherington said while teams often inquire about the ace, the response has always been firm. “The question gets asked, and it’s always respectful. Teams have to ask the question. I suspect that won’t end. But the answer’s been consistent,” he said.

Skenes remains under team control through 2029, with arbitration eligibility beginning in 2027 and free agency not until 2030. He is expected to report to spring training in February and will represent Team USA at the 2026 World Baseball Classic next March.

Editorial credit: Thomas Trompeter / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Country Daypop

Zac Brown Band releases the singles ‘The Sum,” “Hard Run” from upcoming LP

Zac Brown Band has released the new singles, “The Sum” and “Hard Run” (featuring Marcus King) which will be included on the band’s upcoming 13-track album, Love & Fear, arriving December 5.

Other released songs from Love & Fear include “I Ain’t Worried About It,” “Let It Run” (featuring Snoop Dogg), “Butterfly” (featuring Dolly Parton), and “Give It Away”

The new music arrives just as the band prepares to launch their Love & Fear residency at Sphere in Las Vegas, which coincides with the album’s release. The multi-date engagement will continue at Sphere for three additional sold-out December dates on December 6, 12, and 13, and on January 9 and 10, in addition to the newly added dates on January 16 and 17.

Presave ‘Love & Fear’ – HERE.

Editorial credit: Brian Friedman / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Country Daypop

Kelsea Ballerini, Brandi Carlile, Kenny Chesney and more to perform at 59th CMA Awards

The Country Music Association and ABC have revealed another round of performers for The 59th Annual CMA Awards.

The latest set of performers include Kelsea Ballerini, Brandi Carlile, Kenny Chesney, Riley Green, Miranda Lambert, Patty Loveless, Old Dominion, the Red Clay Strays and Chris Stapleton, who will be taking the stage for ‘Country Music’s Biggest Night’.

The new round of performers join previously announced artists including BigXthaPlug, Luke Combs, Ella Langley, Megan Moroney, Shaboozey, Zach Top, Tucker Wetmore, Lainey Wilson and Stephen Wilson Jr.

In addition, Vince Gill was announced as this year’s Willie Nelson Lifetime Achievement Award honoree, and will be celebrated with a tribute performance at the awards show.

Lainey Wilson will serve as the show’s host, and said in a statement: “I grew up watching the CMA Awards like it was the Super Bowl, so to be hosting for a second year is a true honor. I’m humbled that CMA has trusted me with this role, and I can’t wait to love on this genre that has given me so much.”

This year’s CMA Awards nominations are led by Langley and Moroney, with six nods each; Zach Top earned five nods, and Riley Green and Cody Johnson each scored four.

The 59th Annual CMA Awards – ‘Country Music’s Biggest Night’ – will air live from Bridgestone Arena in Nashville on Wednesday, November 19th, on ABC and is available to stream the next day on Hulu.

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Aubrey Plaza to star as ‘Hollywood Madam’ Heidi Fleiss in upcoming biopic

Aubrey Plaza is set to produce and star in “The Heidi Fleiss Story,” which will see Plaza portray the infamous “Hollywood madam” Heidi Fleiss.  The dark comedy will mark the directorial debut of Leah Rachel (creator of Netflix’s “Chambers”), with production to take place in Los Angeles this year.

Fleiss became infamous in the 1990s for running what was said to be the world’s largest high-profile prostitution ring that catered to the rich and powerful of Los Angeles, including many power figures in Hollywood, politicians and more.  Fleisswas arrested in 1993 and charged with multiple counts, including pandering, and sentenced to prison.

The film will follow Fleiss in days leading up to her trial, as she continues to use her Hollywood connections to try to manipulate and blackmail her way out of the charges, with the assistance of an ambitious young writer named Jaclyn.

No release date has been set for the upcoming film as of press time.

Editorial credit: Featureflash Photo Agency / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

‘Bridgerton’ to return Jan. 29 with two-part Season 4

Netflix announced that Part 1 of Bridgerton’s fourth season will arrive on the streamer Jan. 29, 2026, followed by Part 2 on Feb. 26. Each part consists of four episodes, with Season 4 taking its inspiration from the book An Offer from a Gentleman by Julia Quinn.

The official logline for Season 4 reads: “The fourth season of Bridgerton turns its focus to bohemian second son Benedict Bridgerton (Luke Thompson). Despite his elder and younger brothers both being happily married, Benedict is loath to settle down — until he meets a captivating Lady in Silver at his mother’s masquerade ball.”

The streaming service also teased the upcoming chapter of the Shonda Rhimes-created hit period drama with a 44-second preview. Lady Whistledown (Julie Andrews) says in the clip: “With each passing season, one is known to experience plenty of ups and downs. So then we must ask ourselves, do we rise to the occasion? As always, time, and this author, will tell.”  Viewers see Benedict Bridgerton and Yerin Ha’s Sophie Baek passing one another at a masquerade ball, and then viewers see her cream-colored glove on the floor.

Thompson told Netflix’s Tudum: “The storyline is a bit of a twist on Cinderella. You remember being told those stories as a child — the magic and the romance of them. It’s really exciting to have that weaved into the world that we know of Bridgerton… It’s such a great story, but it’s also, I hope, really relatable.”

Also starring this season are: Jonathan Bailey, Victor Alli, Adjoa Andoh, Julie Andrews, Lorraine Ashbourne, Simone Ashley, Masali Baduza, Nichola Coughlan, Hannah Dodd, Daniel Francis, Ruth Gemmell, Florence Hunt, Martins Imhangbe, Claudia Jessie, Luke Newton, Katie Leung, Michelle Mao, Emma Naomi, Golda Rosheuvel, Hugh Sachs, Will Tilston, Polly Walker, Isabella Wei and Oli Higginson.

The brief teaser released also asks, “Do we rise to the occasion or do we bury oneself deeper amidst society’s secrets? As always, time — and this author — will tell.” See the teaser clip: HERE.

Editorial credit: lev radin / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Rock Daypop

Nine Inch Nails set new North American leg of ‘Peel It Back’ tour in 2026

Nine Inch Nails have set a new leg of North American dates on their “Peel It Back” tour.

The new run is set to kick off Thursday, February 5th, in New Orleans, LA at Smoothie King Center, and includes stops in New Orleans, Charlotte, Washington, DC, Boston, Montreal, St. Louis, Austin, Dallas, Las Vegas, San Francisco, and more before wrapping Monday, March 16th, in Sacramento, CA, at Golden 1 Center.  NIN will be joined by Boys Noize as a special guest at all dates.

NIN launched the sold-out Peel It Back Tour in June with a run across Europe and the UK, featuring shows in Dublin, London, Paris, Madrid, and more. The band then brought the tour to North America with shows spanning across the country, including multiple nights each in Brooklyn, Chicago, and Los Angeles.

Tickets are on sale now; head HERE for more information.

Editorial credit: Ferenc Szelepcsenyi / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Katy Perry shares video for new single ‘Bandaids’

Katy Perry has shared her latest single, ‘Bandaids,’ which dropped alongside a ‘Final Destination’ inspired music video.

‘Bandaids’ finds Perry singing about having tried her best in a failed relationship (most likely inspired her recent split from ex-fiancee Orlando Bloom in July.) The former couple share daughter Daisy, 4.

Bandaids‘ marks Perry’s first new music since 2024’s ‘143‘ album, and serves as her first solo single of 2025. ‘143’ debuted at No. 6 on the Billboard 200 album chart, and shortly thereafter Perry launched her career-spanning Lifetimes Tour, which has to date grossed over $80 million worldwide. The trek will finish with a show in Abu Dhabi on Dec. 7.

The music video for ‘Bandaids’ sees Perry nearly meeting her demise on multiple instances as she faces near-death experiences while life continues to throw hurdles at her.  See the video: HERE.

Editorial credit: Featureflash Photo Agency / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Miley Cyrus shares ‘Something Beautiful (Deluxe)’ featuring David Byrne, Lindsey Buckingham

Miley Cyrus shared the deluxe version of her latest album Something Beautiful, with the expanded edition including two new songs: the 13-minute David Byrne collaboration “Lockdown,” and the track “Secrets,” which features Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham and Mick Fleetwood.

In an Instagram post, Miley explained that the song ‘Secrets’ was an attempt to heal a rift between her and her dad, Billy Ray Cyrus: “This song was written as a peace offering for someone I had lost for a time but always loved. In my experience, forgiveness and freedom are one and the same, Thank you to Lindsey Buckingham & Mick Fleetwood for bringing magic to the music. This song is for my dad.”

Cyrus’ video for ‘Secrets’ was directed by Cyrus herself, along with Jacob Bixenman and Brendan Walter, and was shot at Los Angeles’ Million Dollar Theatre. Watch the “Secrets” video – HERE.

Stream Something Beautiful (Deluxe)HERE.

Editorial credit: Featureflash Photo Agency / Shutterstock.com